Cleantech & Nano Blog is a proud sponsor of ACI’s “A Practical and Tactical Guide for Maneuvering New and Amended Procedures and Mastering the Intricacies of PTO Practice in the Wake of Patent Reform” forum to be held on March 26 and 27, 2012 in New York City.
Information provided by ACI:
The America Invents Act (AIA) is one of the most sweeping and iconoclastic pieces of legislation in more than half a century. Not only did the AIA reform the basic tenants of the American patent system, but it also lead to the evolution of PTO procedures. Under the AIA’s auspices, some procedures have been amended and others newly created. The AIA has, in essence, created a new type of litigation before the PTO- or more specifically, the Patent Trial and Appeals Board (PTAB) which it also put into being. Patent attorneys representing a variety of industries from nanotechnology – to medical devices – to financial services – to tech and consumer products are now pondering these new and amended procedures and how they will impact current and future strategies.
Among other topics, join Foley & Lardner LLP and other industry leaders for an interactive discussion “Of Inter Partes Reexamination and Inter Partes Review: Preparing for the Transition.” Focal points of this particular discussion include:
- Comparing current inter partes reexamination protocols to inter partes review protocols under AIA
- Understanding the fine points of the new inter partes review procedure
- Revisions to patent challenger’s burden of proof under both procedures
- Exploring the scope of review for each procedure under 102 and 103
- Transition in presiding forums
Registration: Cleantech & Nano Blog readers are entitled a discount when referencing the code: CN 200
Additional Program Details
In response to the many questions surrounding these procedures and their mode of utilization, ACI has designed this conference on PTO Procedures under the America Invents Act to serve as your practical and tactical guide for PTO practice post- Patent Reform. An all star faculty comprised of top PTO practitioners, in-house patent counsel, and high ranking PTO officials will walk you through the challenges associated with anticipated regulations; the new priority landscape; supplemental proceedings; post-issuance procedures, including post grant review and inter partes review; and estoppel. They will help you develop the strategies that you need to assess your options within the scope of patent reform and when the utilization of these new procedures makes the most sense.
To enhance and complete your conference experience, ACI is offering the following training and strategy sessions:
- Patent Reform Boot Camp for PTO Practice: Laying the Foundation for New and Amended PTO Procedures under the America Invents Act will provide you with the legal and regulatory backdrop for the new and amended procedures discussed in the main conference; and
- The Master Class on Parallel Proceedings: Strategies for Preserving Causes of Action and Your Case in Chief in Multiple and Simultaneous Forums will provide pointers and tactics for simultaneous patent challenges before the PTO, Federal Courts and even the ITC.
For more information on this forum, please visit ACI’s Web site.
Join Foley online for regular updates, deadlines, and impacts of patent reform, visit us at www.foley.com/patentreform.